This week we activated our members to write the Los Angeles City council against a motion that would put the City in opposition to SB 827. Today we sent a longer letter explaining why SB 827 is a good bill for the state and for LA. AHLA letter on city of LA 827 motion
We argue that the trade-off of a small amount of local control over a few aspects of zoning is worth it for a bill that would help add homes near transit and strengthen tenant protections.
We gave 8 reasons why we support Sb 827, and why the City of Los Angeles should too. They are elaborated on in the link above.
- It’s the first and only proposal that would address our housing shortage on the necessary scale.
- It would strengthen tenant rights and benefits.
- It would reduce housing shortages, rent increases, displacement, homelessness and Angelenos being forced to leave the region.
- It would reverse decades of exclusion from affluent, low-density neighborhoods.
- It’s aligned with policy goals which focus new housing near transit.
- It would create many more resources for affordable housing.
- It would force free-loading cities to allow their fair share of housing.
- It would dramatically reduce our contribution to global carbon emissions.