With the Primary Election behind us, it’s time to assess the results. Abundant Housing LA endorsed 13 candidates in this election. Each of these candidates played an important role in educating the public on the need for better housing policy, giving voters a choice to move our communities closer to solutions, regardless of the outcome in their races.
We are thrilled to report that, based on unofficial results as of June 13th, 10 AHLA-endorsed candidates appear to have advanced to a runoff in November:
- Karen Bass for Mayor of Los Angeles
- Rick Chavez Zbur for Assembly District 51
- Lindsey Horvath for Los Angeles County Supervisorial District 3
- Erin Darling for Los Angeles City Council District 11
- Sharon Quirk-Silva for Assembly District 67
- Tina McKinnor for Assembly District 61 (full-term) and District 62 (short term)
- Lola Smallwood-Cuevas for Senate District 28
- Mike Fong for Assembly District 49
- Laura Friedman for Assembly District 44
- Isaac Bryan for Assembly District 55
We are working to elect pro-housing leaders to local and state offices because it is essential to have elected representatives that understand the severity of the housing affordability crisis and are committed to evidence-based solutions. While results from the primary election are encouraging, many of these races will not be decided until the General Election in November. This unfortunately gives anti-housing interests more time to organize against housing.
The biggest challenge for pro-housing candidates is funding – especially in races to represent high-opportunity areas, such as LA City Council District 11. In these cases, pro-housing candidates are being greatly outspent, sometimes to the magnitude of 10 to 1. We can’t let anti-housing interests buy the election like they historically have done – will you chip in today to make sure of that? Your dollars will go towards voter outreach, so Angelenos know about pro-housing candidates and make informed decisions in November.
Paid for by Abundant Housing LA. 515 S Flower Street, 18th Floor, Los Angeles, CA, 90071. Not authorized by or coordinated with a City candidate or a committee controlled by a candidate. Additional information is available at ethics.lacity.org.
Support housing. Sign up to stay updated with AHLA.